Verizon 411

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fiber-To-The-Premise- Intern experience

I started my Verizon career as an intern in Strategic Sourcing on a project called “Fiber-To-The-Premise." This project is what we all know now as our award winning FiOS broadband and entertainment service today. As a college kid at the time, I was working on a multi-billion dollar national deployment, something really really big!

Now, I’m currently a 2nd level manager in Strategic Sourcing. My role gives me the extraordinary opportunity to work closely with cross functional teams across a diverse set of departments to select top quality products, while delivering savings that positively impact the company's bottom line. The savings are reinvested into the network so that Verizon can offer the most reliable network that we all stand behind.

I've been fortunate to work on some really cool and strategic business deals that are essential to deploying new products and services. To play an important part in delivering something this compelling is rewarding in itself. I’ll never forget watching a TV ad for FiOS for the first time and saying to myself, “I started working on that last year and actually negotiated that contract to help build FiOS!”
Verizon has given me the tools to better myself and succeed in my career. Having colleagues as great as mine makes every day much more rewarding, and I look forward to continuing my career here. Every day presents itself with great new challenges. It takes great people and teamwork to succeed in our competitive economy successfully. We are working extremely hard to deliver new services that we hope you can be excited about, and I hope that you will be more excited with all that we deliver.

George Sycip, PMP
Senior Sourcing Process leader
Verizon Talent Acquisition

No comments: